- Professor dr. techn. Egil Arthur Berge
Born, childhood and youth
- 1939.14.01. in H?yanger, Sogn County, Norway, to parents Astrid and Odd, raised, trained and educated to inherit the family dairy farm.
Education and academic degrees
- 1955: Langvin School of Agriculture, Norway, 1 year.
- 1960-63: Agricultural University of Norway (NLH), ?s, Norway
- 1963: Cand.agric., Agricultural University of Norway (NLH), ?S, Norway, major in agricultural engineering.
- 1964-68: Technical University of Norway (NTH), Trondheim. Norway. Post graduate studies, major in house building technology, minor in building statics.
- 1971: Dr. techn., Technical University of Norway (NTH), Trondheim, Norway. Dissertation on computer simulations and experiments on freezing of silage in silo towers.
- 1975-76: University of Illinois, Dept. of Ag.Engineering, Urbana-Champaign, U.S.A. Visiting professor, sit-in on courses in animal science, instrumentation, prestressed concrete design.
- 1990: FAL, Institute fur landwirtschaftliches Bauforschung, Braunschweig, Germany. Sabbatical (1/2 year), study tours in D, and to NL, B, F, CH, AU, TCH, P.
- 1997: Mie University, Tsu, Japan. Fellowship from Japan Society for promotion of Science, 8 weeks. Joint research with professor Makoto Hoki, and 11 guest lectures at universities (Tokyo, Kyoto, Hokkaido, mm) and research institutions in Japan.
- 1963-2006: Employee of Agricultural University of Norway (NLH). Since 1963 in research position, since 1969 in research and education. Full professor at Department of Agricultural Structures 1981. Research Director 1989-92, Head of Department 1993-95. Prof. emeritus since 2006.
Main research and PhD advice
- Numerical solution Fourier equation for transient heat conduction with phase change, for freeze/thaw calculations on silos and frost heave protections on buildings, roads, railroads, pipelines. Computer programming and verification, climate, probability and solution mapping. (Dissertation topics.) Research elaboration finished by other researchers.
- Improvement of cost/value-ratio of farm buildings by development of prefab systems in concrete, steel, wood, and improved equipment for on-site construction in rural areas. Several projects and coworkers.
- Steel corrosion and concrete detoriation in animal manure-dominated environments. Exposure, rehabilitation and prevention.
- Field survey of in-situ concrete works on farms. Work, cost, equipment. (PhD advice)
- Minimum cost choice of energy supply for a given farm. Expert system. (PhD advice)
- Two dimensional transient computer modeling of inside greenhouse climate energy and mass flow balance with sources and sink (PhD advice)
- CIGR ( International Commission of Agricultural Engineering) activities:
- 1972-74: CIGR sec.II WG on Loads and safety in farm buildings
- CIGR WG on revisal of CIGR Statutes, since 1984.
- 1991: CIGR Sec. II and III. Symposium, "Sustainability - Challenges and Solutions for Agricultural Engineering", ?s, Norway, Committee Chair.
- 1997: CIGR sec. II Seminar "Concrete for sustainable agriculture", Stavanger, Norway. Co-(sponsors CEMBUREAU, ERMCO, BIBM, Norsk Betongforening). Chair and editor of proceedings.
- 1998: CIGR/EurAgEng: "International conference on agricultural engineering", Oslo, Norway, Chair of organizing committee. (sponsored by Norwegian Ministry of Agriculture, Norwegian Ministry of Education, Research and Church Affairs, Norwegian Research Council, Agricultural University of Norway, Government Bank of Agriculture, Kverneland Klepp, Alfa Laval Scandinavia, Hydro Agri Norway, Reime, J.L. Bruvik)
- CIGR Boards:
- 1979-83: CIGR sec.II Board: Member
- 1984-89:CIGR sec.II Board: Vice President
- 1989-92: CIGR BOARD: Member
- 1993-94: CIGR BOARD: Incoming President
- 1995-96: CIGR BOARD: PRESIDENT
- 1997-98: CIGR Past President
- 1974-76: Nordic NJF Working Group on modular coordination of farm buildings. Chair.
- 1990: FAL, Braunschweig, Germany: Committee on evaluating four institutes, member.
- 1990s: Nordic countries Joint Committee on Coordination of Studies in Agricultural Engineering in the Nordic countries. Chair.
- CIGR WG on same topic for EEC and the Nordic countries, member.
- On 10 committees for selecting of professors, grading PhD dissertations, etc, for universities in Norway, Sweden and Denmark.
- Swedish Research Council, member of committee selecting scientific works for research fund assignment.
- Professional travels/visits to all Nordic countries, U.S.A., Canada, Russia, The Baltic countries, Ukraine, Poland, Hungary, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Switzerland, Czech Rep., Morocco, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Thailand, Japan and China.
- 1990: AAAE, Asian Association for Agricultural Engineering, Foundation Member, Bangkok.
- 1995: Accademia dei Georgofili, Firenze, Italy: Accademici Corrispondenti Stranieri
- 1998: CIGR: Honorary President of CIGR, for distinguished service as President 1995-96. Rabat, Morocco.
- 2000: CIGR: CIGR Fellow, in recognition of outstanding past and future contribution to the worldwide activity of CIGR, Tsukuba, Japan.
- 2006: H M King Harald V of Norway: Gold Medal of Merit, for excellent service.
- 2007: ASAEBE, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, 25 years of membership (member no 0014432).
- Advice of doctorate and master students thru career.
- Initiative on research programs on a wide range of topics within technological fields and in cooperation with other agricultural fields.
- Norwegian Research Council , member of advice group on agricultural engineering
- On committees and working groups on standards and lawmaking.
- Expert witness in lawsuits.
- Member of industrial profession societies within professional field range, giving lectures, advice, mm.
- Taking part in debates, discussions mm in media on professional topics and agricultural politics.