William J. Chancellor
Biological and Agricultural Engineering Department University of California, Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
August 25, 1931
Alexandria, VA, USA
- B.S. Agriculture, University of Wisconsin 1954
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin 1954
- M.S. Agricultural Engineering, Cornell University 1956
- Ph.D. Cornell University (agricultural engineering major) 1957
- 1957 to Present: Assistant Professor to Professor, Bio. & Ag. Engr. Dept., UC Davis, Professor, Emeritus since July 1, 1994
- 1962-63: Visiting Professor of Agricultural Engineering University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur,
- 1976-77 Senior Fellow, Food Institute, East-West Center, Honolulu, Hawaii
Professional Association/Society Memberships
- Fellow, American Society of Agricultural Engineers
- Founding Member, Asian Association for Agricultural Engineering
- Member, Sigma Xi Member, Society of Automotive Engineers
- Member, (C.I.G.R)
Awards and Honors
- Valedictorian of high school graduating class, 1949
- Honors at graduation, mechanical engineering, University of Wisconsin, 1954
- High Honors at graduation, agriculture, University of Wisconsin, 1954
- Paper Award, American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 1960
- Paper Honorable Mention (with David Gee-Clough), American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 1976
- Kishida International Award, American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 1984
- Fellow, American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 1985
- Distinguished Service Award, Asian Association for Agricultural Engineering, 2000
- IET Select Paper Award, Information and Electrical Technologies Division of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 2002
- John Deere Gold Medal Award, American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 2004
- Member, U.S. National Academy of Engineering, 2005
- Fellow, (C.I.G.R.,) 2010
- Founding Fellow: International Academy of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, (C.I.G.R.), 2015
- Roy Bainer Centennial, Lifetime Achievement Award, Oct. 3, 2015
- Alpha Zeta (agricultural honorary)
- Pi Tau Sigma (mechanical engineering honorary)
- Tau Beta Pi (engineering honorary)
- Phi Kappa Phi (general honorary)
- Sigma Xi (research honorary)
- Chancellor, W. J. Transmission control. August 29, 1961. U.S. Patent Number 2,997,891. Filed October 26, 1959. 4 pages including 2 figures.
- Chancellor, W. J. Planting structure and method of planting seeds. July 18, 1967. U.S. Patent Number 3,331,155. Filed October 22, 1964. 3 pages including 6 figures.
- Chancellor, W. J. Method of and apparatus for planting seeds. May 28, 1968. U.S. Patent Number 3,385,242. Filed September 8, 1966. 3 pages including 2 figures.
- Chancellor, W. J. Method and apparatus for singling seeds for planting. October 7, 1969. U.S. Patent Number 3,470,669. Filed September 8, 1966. 5 pages including 2 figures.
- Khan, A. U., W. J. Chancellor, and A. Amilhussin. Method for parboiling and drying paddy. February 6, 1973. Philippine Patent Number 7275. Filed: November 26, 1970. 13 pages including 7 charts.
- Chancellor, W.J. and M.C. Hacker, No-Falls Method for Learning How to Ride a Bicycle, The Davis Enterprise, Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:34:44. http://www.davisenterprise.com/local-news/news-columns/learn-how-to-ride-a-bike-with-no-falls/
- William J. Chancellor, 2002, Conscious Personal Programming of Our Minds in Various Problem Solving Situations, Paper Number, 023092, 2002 ASAE Annual International Meeting / CIGR XVth World Congress Sponsored by ASAE and CIGR, Hyatt Regency Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA, July 28-July 31, 2002.
- Chancellor, W.J. December 2001. "Global Energy Flows and their Food System Components". Agricultural Engineering International: the CIGR Journal of Scientific Research and Development. Invited Overview Paper. Volume III.
- Chancellor, W. February 2001. "Synergistic Cooperation in the Food System". Agricultural Engineering International: the CIGR Journal of Scientific Research and Development. Vol. III.
- Chancellor, W. J. 1994. Cool topical buildings: lessons from old-style designs. Building and Environment 29(1):5-12.
- Chancellor, W. J. 1994. Soil Physical Properties (In) Advances in Soll Dynamics, Vol.1, ASAE Monograph No. 12, S.K. Upadhyaya, W.J. Chancellor, J.V. Prumpral, R.L. Schafer, W.R. Gill and G.E. VandenBerg, eds. ASAE, St. Joseph, MI. pp. 21-254.
- Chancellor, W.J., 1981, Substituting Information for Energy in Agriculture , Transactions of the ASABE. 24 (4): 0802-0807. (doi: 10.13031/2013.34341) @1981
- Cervinka. V , Chancellor, W.J., et al. Energy requirements for agriculture in California , Calif. Dept. of Food and Agriculture, and Agricultural Engineering Dept., Univ. of California, Davis 1974, 151 p.
- Chancellor, W.J.,1960, Relations between air and solid particles moving upward in a vertical pipe, Agricultural Engineering , March, 1960. p. 168.
Soil strength and dynamics relative to traction, compaction, and tillage;
agricultural machinery systems management and optimization;
energy requirements and resources for agriculture (including biomass-based fuels);
agricultural mechanization and processing in Southeast Asia;
information handling systems in agricultural equipment (including site-specific farming technology and automatic adjustment and control for tractors);
sustainable agricultural systems;
energy efficient tropical buildings;
indexing and retrieval of technical information.