DATE, CITIZENSHIP and PLACE of BIRTH
22 March 1940; Irish; Tuam, Co Galway,
- University College Dublin, Ireland, (1961-1965), BE (Agricultural and
- The Ohio State University, (1966-1968), MSc (Dairy Technology),
Flow characteristics of reconstituted low heat non fat dry milks of various concentrations.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, (1968-1972), PhD (Food
Science), Factors affecting flavour release and uptake in O/W emulsions.
- 1957-1961: Bank official, Bank of Ireland, Dublin.
- 1965-1966: Plant Engineer, DairyGold Foods, Mallow, Co Cork.
- 1972-1979: Lecturer, Agricultural and Food Engineering, University College Dublin, Ireland..
- 1979-2005: Professor and Department Head, (Agricultural and later)
Biosystems Engineering, University College Dublin.
- 2005-Present: Emeritus Professor, Biosystems Engineering, University
- Institution of Engineers of Ireland;
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological
- Institute of Food Technology, Chicago.
MAIN RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Physical properties of biological materials;
- Biosystems engineering.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Food and Bioprocess
Engineering, Springer, New York, 2009-present.
- P B McNulty, N M Holden (Editors) (1996-2008):
Biosystems Engineering Research Review, University College Dublin (annual publication ) ISSN 1649-2226 (previously AgriFood Engineering Research Review.)
- McNulty, P B & Flynn, D G, 1977 Force deformation
and texture profile behaviour of aqueous sugar glasses. J Texture Studies 8: 417-431.
- McRandal, D M. & McNulty, P B Mechanical and
physical properties of grasses. Trans ASAE 23: 816-821, 1980 (ASAE Paper Award 1981).
- P B McNulty (1987) "Flavour Release: Elusive and
Dynamic," in Food Structure and Behaviour, pp 245-258, Academic Press, 1987.
- P B McNulty, P M Grace, Agricultural Mechanization
and Automation in Knowledge for Sustainable Development An Insight into the Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems. Paper 14.2, pp 33-57, 2002, UNESCO, Paris/EOLSS Publishers, Oxford.
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- Jun 1968: Awarded plaque and cheque for $100 for presenting the best scientific paper in Dairy Manufacturing at 63rd Annual Meeting, American Dairy Science Association, Columbus, Ohio in June 1968.
- Jul 1981: Received ASAE Paper Award (1981) in recognition of authorship of a contribution to agricultural engineering literature of exceptional merit, "Mechanical and Physical Properties of Grasses," Trans. ASAE 23: 816-821, 1980.
- Sep 1988: President, CIGR (International Commission on Agricultural Engineering), 1989- 1991.
- Sep 1997: Honorary theme Editor of Section 5.11 Agricultural Mechanisation and Automation for the UNESCO Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems, 1998- 2002.
- Aug 2014: Outstanding Reviewer for 2013 Publication Year - Biological Engineering Division, ASABE (American Society of Agricultural? and Biological Engineers.)