Ph.D., Professor, School of Biosystems Engineering (Personal Chair), University College Dublin
Director, Food Refrigeration and Computerised Food Technology (FRCFT), University College Dublin
University College Dublin, Agriculture and Food Science Center, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
E-mail: email@example.com; Website: www.ucd.ie/refrig/
Tel: +353-1-7167342, Fax: +353-1-7167493 / 7167415
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, South China University of Technology, China, 1988
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, South China University of Technology, China, 1985
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, South China University of Technology, China, 1982
- 1995-Present Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Associate Professor, Professor, University College Dublin, Ireland
- 1994-1995 Senior Research Fellow, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
- 1991-1994 Research Fellow, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
- 1990-1991 Research Fellow, Queen's University of Belfast, UK
- 1989-1990 Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Stuttgart, Germany
- 1988-1989 Lecturer, South China University of Technology, China
- Cooling, drying and refrigeration processes and systems
- Quality and safety of food products
- Bioprocess simulation and optimization
- Computer vision and hyperspectral imaging technology
Selected Research Projects
- A novel method for improving the vacuum cooling of cooked meats. Funding Agency: EU 7th Framework.
- Rapid, objective and quantitative determination of meat quality by non-destructive and non-contact hyperspectral imaging system. Funding agency: EU Food Institutional Research Measure.
- Novel method for assisting and accelerating the aging process of wine. Funding agency: EU 7th Framework.
- Prediction of eating qualities of salmon fillet from colour, marbling and surface texture features using hyperspectral imaging technique. Funding agency: Irish Research Council for Science, Engineering and Technology.
- Prediction of pork sensory attributes using NIR hyperspectral imaging technique. Funding agency: EU Food Institutional Research Measure.
- Cooling of cooked carrot cubes of different sizes with three cooling methods. Funding agency: EU 7th Framework.
- NIR prediction of chemical composition in lamb meat using NIR hyperspectral imaging. Funding agency: Food Institutional Research Measure.
- Effects of Immersion Vacuum Cooling of Sausages with Different Water Levels. Funding agency: EU 7th Framework
- Modelling food processes enhanced by ultrasound. Funding agency: EU 7th Framework.
- IAEF Lifetime Achievement Award, 2015, by International Association of Engineering and Food (IAEF) (This award is given to recognize exceptional serving experts of food engineering for their life long contribution and international impact on the progress of food engineering)
- The Frozen Food Foundation Freezing Research Award, 2013, by International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) (This is the first time that this prestigious award was presented to a scientist outside the USA)
- You Bring Charm to the World Award, 2013, by Hong Kong based Phoenix Satellite Television (This award is to recognise those Chinese individuals or teams who have in the past year made the most significant and influential contributions to the world in various fields including science and technology, culture and arts, and sports. Other award recipients included the 2012 Nobel Laureate in Literature and the Chinese Astronaut Team for Shenzhou IX Spaceship. A total of 7 individuals and 3 teams were honoured in 2013)
Selected Current Academic Appointments
- Member of Academia Europaea (The Academy of Europe)
- Member of Royal Irish Academy
- Past President of International Commission of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering (CIGR)
- Fellow of International Academy of Food Science and Technology
- Fellow of Institution of Engineers of Ireland
- Fellow of Institution of Agricultural Engineers, UK
- Editor-in-Chief, Food and Bioprocess Technology (Impact Factor = 4.115)
- Series Editor, Contemporary Food Engineering Book Series
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Food Process Engineering
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Food Engineering
- Editorial Board Member, Sensing and Instrumentation for Food Quality and Safety
- Results (as of 23 August 2015) in Web of Science for journal papers published by Professor Sun [search terms: Author=(Sun DW) AND Address=(Dublin OR Belfast OR Newcastle OR Sheffield OR Stuggart OR Chem Engn Res Inst)] are as follows:
- Results found: 416
- Sum of the Times Cited: 10461
- Sum of Times cited without self-citations: 6746
- Average Citations per Item: 25.15
- h-index: 65
Selected Recent Peer-reviewed Articles
(For a complete list of articles, please visit: http://www.ucd.ie/sun/list.htm)
- H.-J. He and Da-Wen Sun, Food Analytical Methods, 8  (2015) 2427-2436.
- J.-L. Xu, C. Riccioli and Da-Wen Sun, Journal of Food Engineering, 169 (2016) 259-271.
- Y. Tao, Da-Wen Sun, A. G?recki, W. B?aszczak, G. Lamparski, R. Amarowicz, J. Fornal and T. Jeli?ski, Food Chemistry, 194 (2016) 545-554.
- W. Cheng, J.-H. Cheng, Da-Wen Sun and H. Pu, Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 14  (2015) 523-535.
- L. Drummond, L. Meinert, A. G. Koch, J. W?rtz, Z. Zhang and Da-Wen Sun, International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 50  (2015) 2066-2073.
- H.-J. He and Da-Wen Sun, Trends in Food Science & Technology, 46  (2015) 99-109.
- H. Pu, M. Kamruzzaman and Da-Wen Sun, Trends in Food Science & Technology, 45  (2015) 86-104.
- L. Wang, H. Pu, Da-Wen Sun, D. Liu, Q. Wang and Z. Xiong, Food Analytical Methods, 8  (2015) 1535-1545.
- Z. Xu, Da-Wen Sun, Z. Zhang and Z. Zhu, Trends in Food Science & Technology, 44  (2015) 49-57.
- J.-H. Cheng and Da-Wen Sun, LWT - Food Science and Technology, 63  (2015) 892-898.
- Y.-Y. Pu and Da-Wen Sun, Food Chemistry, 188 (2015) 271-278.
- J.-H. Qu, D. Liu, J.-H. Cheng, Da-Wen Sun, J Ma, H. Pu and X.-A. Zeng, Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 55  (2015) 1939 - 1954.
- H. Kiani, Z. Zhang and Da-Wen Sun, Experimental Analysis and Modeling of Ultrasound Assisted Freezing of Potato Spheres, Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 26 (2015) 321-331.
- J.-H Cheng, Da-Wen Sun, H.-B. Pu, X. Chen, Y. Liu, H. Zhang and J.-L. Li, Integration of Classifiers Analysis and Hyperspectral Imaging for Rapid Discrimination of Fresh from Cold-Stored and Frozen-Thawed Fish Fillets, Journal of Food Engineering, 161 (2015) 33-39.
- J.-H. Cheng, Da-Wen Sun, H. Pu and Z. Zhu, Food Chemistry, 185 (2015) 245-253.
Selected Recent Books
- Da-Wen Sun (editor), Emerging Technologies for Food Processing, 2nd Edition, Academic Press / Elsevier, San Diego, California, USA, 635 pp., ISBN 978-0-12-411479-1 (2014).
- Da-Wen Sun (editor), Computer Vision Technology in the Food and Beverage Industries, Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, UK, 528 pp., ISBN 978 0 85709 036 2 (2012).
- Da-Wen Sun (editor), Thermal Food Processing: New Technologies and Quality Issues, 2nd Edition, CRC Press / Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, Florida, USA, 664 pp., ISBN 978-1-4398767-8-7 (2012).