Mission, Scope, Objectives and Activities
CIGR Section II is a worldwide information platform and task force dealing with issues related to "Engineering for Structures and Environment". It will provide and distribute information, organise, coordinate and co-organise activities, such as working groups, conferences, etc. with strong emphasis of encouraging the involvement of young scientists. Therefore Section II will act as an umbrella organisation for all national committees and coordinate conferences/workshops.
- Section II will motivate more young researchers from different countries to attend our meetings;By allowing all interested people to attend our Board Meetings as "Special Guests" and by sending the minutes of Section Board Meeting to all Board Members and Special Guests
- Section II will continue to publish documents of general interest on the CIGR website, including all Section II related reports and the 'Glossary of definitions' produced by the "hot Climate Working Group"
- CIGR Section II will improve and intensify the cooperation with different groups;By intensifying the cooperation with EurAgEng working group on Air Emission and by improving the relation between PLF and aquaculture groups
Section II had a number of important activities in the last few years and some of the activity highlights are listed below:
XVIIth CIGR World Congress, Quebec City, Canada, June 13 to 17, 2010
- 96 out of 504 presentations and 30 out of 440 posters were related to Section II topics;
- Prof. Hisamitsu Takai was responsible for the successful organization of the special session on “Natural ventilation”. The outcome of the session might become a reviewed paper;
- Prof. Eberhard Hartung and Dr. Eiko Thissen were responsible for the successful organization of the special session on “Aquaculture”.
Working Group on “Animal Housing in hot climates”
- 3 workshops were held: in Catania organized by Prof. Giovanni Cascone, in Cairo organized by Prof. Mohamed Hatem and in Chongqing organized by Prof. Baoming Li;
- the new focus of the Working Group will be on “application” and the next workshop will be an “extension related conference”;
- Prof. Eileen Wheeler, Prof. Baoming Li and Prof. Mohamed Hatem have become the “pulling persons” of this working group and will organize themselves in the function of chair, co-chair and secretary;
- Israeli colleagues at the Volcani Institute have been asked if they are willing to organize the fourth Hot Climate workshop. As an alternative, the workshop can also be organized by Prof. El Houssine Bartali from Morocco.
Working Group on “Cattle Housing”
- Dr. Josi Flaba, after 10 years of chairing this working group, is looking for successor;
- within this year the new report on housing systems will be available on the CIGR website.
Glossary of Definition
- is available over CIGR website;
- a translation in certain languages is still in progress.
List of upcoming Conferences
- EFITA – ECPA – ECPLF – ISAF Joint International Agriculture Conference 2011, 11th-14th July 2011, Prague, Czech Republic;
- 7th International Symposium on Cement Based Materials for a Sustainable Agriculture, 18th-21st September 2011, Château Bonne Entente, Quebec City, Canada;
- International Conference of Agricultural Engineering CIGR-AgEng 2012, Agriculture & Engineering for a Healthier Life, 8th-12th July 2012, Valencia, Spain;
- XVIIIth CIGR World Congress, 16th-19th September 2014, Beijing, China.